HEAD COACHES REPORT
Since my last report in mid-February the following has taken place: COACHES REPORT FEBRUARY MARCH 2015
- Training at various venues across Fife, club swimmers continue to make the best of our pool closure attending squad sessions on a regular basis. I am delighted with the progress the Dolphins and Sharks group have made over the past month. Similarly the Bronze Squad are showing improvements in technique and basic skills and sessions on a Thursday and Saturday for them remain busy. I continue to be supported poolside by a core of our club coaches and their assistance is greatly appreciated. Comments have been made by them that regular sessions with me have helped them to develop their understanding of a number of drills and skills which will impact positively on their squad coaching when we return to Cupar in early April (fingers crossed!!)
- On the 22nd February, three club swimmers attended a meet at Drumchapel where they made a good show of themselves picking up personal bests and medals too. The results have been previously circulated.
- On Friday 6th March, Ollie Carter competed in Glenrothes at a Fife Disability gala where he picked up four medals and a trophy. Furthermore he produced four lifetime best swims and continues to move forward positively in his aspirations of taking his swimming to an even higher level.
- On Sunday 8th March, we enjoyed the second of the Fife Novice and League galas at Glenrothes. The results of this meet have been circulated and given that we are in a state of upheaval at the moment, the performance of the swimmers was truly excellent.
- Five club swimmers have achieved either consideration or qualifying times for entry into this year’s Scottish National Age Groups, due to be held at the end of this month in Aberdeen. The final acceptance sheets should be circulated soon and I will update the club as to who has gained entry. I will be travelling to Aberdeen on Saturday 4th April to support the swimmers poolside throughout the day. Coaches and Team Managers passes have also been obtained for qualified parents who too will support their swimmers poolside.
- On Saturday 14th March I was approached by a coach from Burntisland Swimming Club who suggested that Fife coaches get together in an informal setting to discuss club coaching and share best practice. I have agreed to join this group and further discussion during the Glenrothes Spring Meet on Saturday 21st March will determine who is interested in joining a group of supportive coaches who can work together to enhance their own and other clubs delivery of training.
- On Sunday 29th March, Coach Forrest Hamilton and I will be attending the day long team manager’s course being held within the clubhouse, organised and delivered by Gina Logan. Any other coaches interested in this course should make contact with Gina so that their interest can be noted. The course costs £30.00 all in and funding may be available for volunteer coaches through the club (to be discussed at forthcoming committee meeting on Monday 16th March). The course runs from 10am until 3pm.
- As part of my training regime with the Dolphins and Sharks, I have been circulating video clip links to parents so that their children can view swimming footage in advance of training sessions. This has been well received and has allowed swimmers to look at certain elements of swimming technique prior to training thereby improving their understanding of what they are being expected to do. I have also circulated similar footage to the Bronze Squad swimmers too.
- Finally, I would like to pay tribute to the parents of our swimmers in their efforts to not just bring their own children to sessions, but to also help other swimmers make it to training too. I recognise that a lot of organisation is going into bringing our kids to sessions at our various venues and I truly appreciate the efforts being made.
- I continue to have regular discussions with our club president about future squad structures and hope to meet with Mark and Gina (who has kindly offered to assist) at the end of the month to discuss the way forward.
Mark Laing, Head Coach, Cupar and District Swimming Club
Saturday 14th March 2015